Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Welcome, 2007! Please Don't Be As Weird As 2006, OK? Seriously.

Happy 2007, friends!

It's the year of the Boar, the year I will turn 31 (in just a few weeks!), and the year that we will more than likely move out of California for good. The (almost) last year of the Bush administration, the first year without Hosie. The little year that could.

I bid 2006 goodbye with less than a heavy heart. '06 was a harsh mistress, and I am more than ready to kick that bitch to the curb. She did bring us a few happy moments, though, so here, in no special order, is my "Top 10 of 2006" list.

1. Seeing Jeff Tweedy at The Fillmore. Great set, great show, great guy. Have you checked out the DVD yet? Seeing The Flaming Lips at The Greek was cool too, except for the part when I thought I was dying.

2. Turning 30. I'm so totally a grown-up now!

3. Watching Violet grow from a roly-poly baby, into a bright and sunny and slightly crazy toddler. She is such a handful... of joy.

4. Getting my new tattoo. Finally!

5. Our group vacation to Balsam Lake, WI. You know you've got friends worth hanging on to, when they change your kid's soggy morning diaper, teach you how to sail, and still want to hang with you after spending 9 straight days with you and your high-maintenance kids in a one bathroom cabin.

6. "Borat - Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Kazakhstan." My favorite movie of the year and, for a longtime Sacha Baron Cohen junkie, a proud moment as a fan. High five!

7. Seeing Hazel shed the last of her toddler skin, and stretch into a tall, strong, bonafide big kid. Amazing.

8. Getting jiggy wit' a new job. Working from home - it's the new black.

9. Seeing "Charlotte's Web" in the movie theater with Hazel - her first theater experience. Having seen the old video version, and read the book by E.B. White, Haze and I were both thrilled to see a fresh take on the one of our favorite stories. She ate two hot dogs and sat on my lap the whole time. Best Mama-Hazel date ever.

10. Another year of health and togetherness for our family and, hopefully, for yours.

And now... in with the new!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to be the one to tell you: Bush will be with us through 2008, as the election isn't until November. Unfortunately.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Binky said...

I especially like the description of Hazel. It is amazing watching our children grow. Happy New Year!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was going to send you an email but my typepad email function is all mucked up! writing is ON. and the tat -- good lord - the color alone is amazing. very cool. you're a daredevil. i'm a wimp, couldn't do it.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

happy new year!

I'm going on 33 and I still don't feel 'grown up'...

5:37 PM  
Blogger Jonathon Morgan said...

Sounds like it was an awesome year. I'll admit it, I'm afraid of 30.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home