Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Balsam Lake 2006 Snapshots



This is where we spent the last nine days. Isn't it great?! A log cabin in the wilds of Wisconsin, just steps from Balsam Lake where we swam, sailed, read, napped, ate, drank, and otherwise had ourselves a fantastic time. I can't believe it's already over.

The weather was perfect; sunny and mild almost the entire time, with a couple of thunderstorms thrown in for dramatic affect, and the heat and humidity kicking in the last few days we were there. The bugs ate me alive, but at least the fish didn't bite. Hazel and Violet both hated the lake and wanted nothing to do with swimming in it, which was disappointing. But Mike and I learned how to sail, and we both tubed. Mike got up on water skis his first try; I came close, but was too sore after my first attempts to ever try again. Hazel saw her first fireworks display (hated it). I read two books, and smoked a bunch of cigarettes. Miked jogged. We befriended a dog named Django. We ate giant, family-style dinners every night. We played board games. We drank too much. We laughed a lot.

I can't possibly say all I want to say about our trip without getting sentimental and long-winded. I'll just say that it was really nice to have our best friends, and our kids' best friends -- our whole tribe -- under one roof. Waking up together, taking turns making breakfast, doing bathtime, taking the kids down to the lake... all of it. All of it was just awesome. Best. Vacation. Ever.


Me and the girls inside on a rainy morning. How are they able to go from a dead sleep, to a frenzy of dressing up, begging for breakfast, and fighting over the princess dolls, all before the coffee's done?


The giant outdoor swing, suspended from two trees, overlooking the lake. Hazel and I got our money's worth on this baby.


The kiddie table, where the girls enjoyed seemingly endless servings of mac n' cheese, yogurt tubes, sandwiches and pancakes.


Here's Mike, gettin' totally tubular! I got a bruise on my thigh that is the size of my hand from this thing. I loved it.


Hazel and I driving the pontoon boat home from the town beach. Patti drinking one of many sweet, light midwestern beers. They have the best beer there.



Neither of our girls were in the water long enough to snap a picture. Here's Vi, just about to get in for the first time. She didn't like the cold. Haze hated the life-vest and "the deepness." Crazy kids.


Rainy day fun with Violet, a.k.a. Lil' Roy Orbison.



These princess dolls were purchased when it became obvious that 20-year-old board games weren't cutting the mustard in the way of entertainment. As you can see, they practically shat themselves with joy upon opening them.


The best part of every day started with a big dinner, followed by bath and bed for the girlies, and lots of wine for the adults.

...And that pretty much sums it up, I think. Balsam Lake, I miss you. I can still smell you if I close my eyes. I can't wait to see you again.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

My uncle used to take us tubbing, which I loved - until he ruined my hopes and dreams by telling me that there were 6' fish in the lake! I still think of the jaws music every time I stick a toe in the water.

10:41 AM  
Blogger megan said...

it sounds like you had a fabulous time, i'm really jealous. hopefully next year...

12:39 PM  
Blogger Pinterest Failures said...

That looks like heaven!

6:35 AM  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

Wow! I especially love the swing photo. Priceless.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! picture of 10 mg vicodin Free instant pop up blocker Car driver magazine covers big breast spyder paintball guns Jewelry littmans store nrityagram dance ensemble hosted by world on stage Money making internet 3 land rover freelander se tyre Trading assistant waykat isuzu npr sale internet advertising alabama

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home