Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Hangover Says: You were up all night.

(I can't call this post "What You Once Were Isn't What You Want To Be Anymore", cuz Patti beat me to it).

Last night, for the first time since Violet was born, I went out and tore it up, child-free. It felt fabulous to put my cute new wrap, carry a purse (no diapers! no leaky sippy cups!) and wear earrings without fear of Violet ripping one through my earlobe.

Patti and I left our men to mind the chillen, and went to see Jeff Tweedy perform a solo show at The Fillmore. He was great, of course -- better than great, actually ((swooning)) -- but for me the highlight of the evening was spending time with my good friend, drinking stiff jack n' cokes, gossiping, giggling and otherwise disrupting the hardcore Tweedy/Wilco fans ("Ssshhhhh!")

We reminisced about our rock n' roll pasts, shows we've seen, bands we've loved. Going to a show used to be a weekly event for me: I'd put on my hipster best and head out for a night of good -- and sometimes not so good -- music, over priced -- and sometimes way over priced -- beer, and rampant cigarette smoking. These days, I'm more excited about who sleeps through the night, and who learned to play peek-a-boo, than I am about who's playing Bottom of the Hill, or who's got tour coming up. I've pretty much fallen off the hipster radar, and I'm cool with that. The fact that I got my tired shit together enough to stay out past midnight, combined with the fact that I am nursing a nice little hangover this afternoon, is enough to make me feel like I haven't completely sold out.

This morning, Hazel asked, "Mama, how was your date with Patti? Did you see Wilco?" And I said yep -- and it rocked.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 or 3 years ago I caught wind of a super-secret wilco show at the GAMH and bought tickets before they sold out (it was limited to 500 or something) and this was during the height of the YHF craze. I got two tickets and I was living by myself at the time with no friends who gave a shit about wilco. So I put one of the tickets up on craigslist and said I'd accept the best offer. What were the offers?

1. a case of 2000 stag's leap merlot
2. $50-250 in cash.
3. two ounces of really good pot.

And I still got to go to the show!

Tweedy at the Fillmore must have been pretty intimate and fun. I saw him at the Lounge Ax like 20 years ago it feels like now. sounds like a fun night to get away.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Pinterest Failures said...

Hear that? Yeah--that's me CRYING because he isn't scheduled anywhere near Cincinnati. We were fortunate to see him frequently when we llived in Pittsburgh and New Jersey but now that we are back in the midwest, he's no where to be found.Well, that's not true, he's doing a show in DEKALB, Illinois.

8:21 AM  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

Good for you, lady.

7:25 PM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

You mean there are still concerts? People go to auditoriums theatres, etc. and play live music?

I'm only pregnant and I don't remember that. *sigh*

It should be that you get to drink, smoke and party MORE when you're knocked up to prepare you for what's to come, no? Nature is a cruel taskmaster.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Debbi said...

Jack and Coke. Ahhhhhh, what fond memories. Hangover I can do without, but what I wouldn't give to tie one on. Sadly, I fear if I start drinking I may never stop. LOL.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! New acura tsx for sale Chat free interracial sex Digital photo print prices uk locke. ca Refinance mortgage rate illinois Directions using phone numbers Bextra law suit washington mitsubishi montero timing belt http://www.european-comfort-spring-air-mattress-lakewood-set.info/Auto_salvage_toyota_roof_rack_iowa.html Click pay per position search Singing pain relief research Assisted living san mateo ca E z win bingo convenio perfumes Rev diet pill carisoprodol Laser skin care houston Cumshots for cash

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home