Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I Want My (Direct) TV!

Remember when I kicked up a big ruckus a few months ago about cutting the (cable) cord, cutting way back on screen time, and being a better family for it?

Yeah... that's over now.

Last week we had a brand, spankin' new Direct TV satellite dish installed on the roof, and our new (blessed!) TiVo activated, and to say that we are in love with it would be the understatement of the year. It makes me a bit of a hypocrite, I know, but hey... I've been called worse.

The thing is, if you are 3, you can only watch the same DVDs so many times (and your mother can only watch you watch the same DVDs so many times). I aim to not let Hazel watch more than an hour of TV everyday... but some days that hour turns into an hour and a half. Some days I'm sick. Some days she's sick. Some days are those days. And some days I just can't stomach the absolute drivel that PBS passes off as "quality" kid's programming. Barney? More like Barfey. Dragon Tales? Try Dragon Shit. These shows are condescending and crappy, with not one iota of educational material between them. And the commercials! Commercials on public television! They're not hawking Barbie or that hideous Disney Princess crap - yet - but McDonald's and Chuck E. Cheese ads don't exactly warm my heart, either. In short, PBS is no match for Noggin, and I'm happy to have it back. And being able to record Hazel's favorite shows and play them whenever... well, I don't need to tell you how hard that rocks, do I?

Mike and I have been enjoying giddy, commercial-free evenings TiVo-ing The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Campus Ladies (my new favorite show), Austin City Limits, and whatever HBO has to offer. There are yoga shows for me, baseball games for him, there's pay-per-view for everyone, and don't even get me started on the XM radio channels. All this, and we are paying less than half of what we payed to have bare-bones Comcast cable.

So, yeah, we're hypocrites... but we're happy. So I'm okay with it. Plus, we're counting the days until the new season of The Sopranos starts... for us, it doesn't get much better than that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long live Tivo!!! Welcome to the real world! Just wait for the day when you try to fast forward through commercials on the radio!

8:27 PM  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

we just got tv too. my dude put his foot down so he could do his "tv-research." I have to admit, I am loving it. Five years of renting TV shows, seasons late and now I can RECORD them. OOOOOOH, fancy.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Alisyn said...

Campus Ladies is AMAZING. The funniest TV show since 'The Office' (BBC version). And *that's* saying something.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Pinterest Failures said...

I loves me some DirecTV! I wouldn't be able to survive without Noggin. You will notice, however, that they show the same 10 Doras so you can go to Channel 299 (Nick) and Tivo some Dora and Diego every once in awhile.

I had all of the same grand plans to not have our kids watch TV. If they didn't, I would smell really bad from not being able to shower and have a urinary tract infection from not being able to pee.

I've also learned that a lot of grand plans and ideals I had before I had my kids ended up being noble, but not very realistic for me. I'm getting over it!

Can't WAIT for the Sopranos!

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have been without TeeVee for about 15 days now...it is sooo quiet. I just about know the whole script to "ELF".
My husband thins this is great...he is never home, how would HE know?
I am jealous of you.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home