Monday, October 03, 2005

Tuned Out: Week 1




It's been exactly one week since the cable was cut off and the TV banished to the garage, and I've been pleasantly surprised by our collective ability to go without. Honestly? It's been really easy. I wish we'd done it sooner.

Even Hazel, who was enjoying quite the full Noggin schedule, had not one melt down, freak out or other such drama. She now gets one hour of DVD time in the evening only, while I'm making dinner, and that suits her just fine. She spends her whole day painting, playing with her stuffed animals, listening to music and whatever else she can think of... and she's accepted the new no-TV rule with nary a whine, whimper or wheedle. Mike has been experiencing a little TWS (Television Withdrawl Syndrome) - he's jonesing bigtime for ESPN. Me? Not so much. I do miss my daily dose of Jon Stewart, though.

I read two books in the last week, one excellent, one pretty good (to find out more about them, see left). It had been a while since I had had the pleasure of reading a book that I just couldn't put down (since I read "Wicked"a few months ago) and I just could not put "The Time Traveller's Wife", by Audrey Niffenegger, down for a minute. Please go put it on your library list right now. It's so good. You could also check out the other book I read,"Little Children", by Tom Perotta - it was good, too, although not great. A solid story, but it climaxed in a made-for-the-movies scene that annoyed me. We've also been listening to a lot more NPR and music, and have been helping Hazel learn how to play "Memory". Remember Memory, the card matching game? I used to love playing this game, as a kid. I still do, as it turns out. Even Violet has spent her downtime more creatively since the TV's been tossed: she cut her first tooth last week.

I actually feel pretty virtuous in not watching TV. It feels good to do something in the evenings - even if it's just reading or writing or listening to short stories on the radio. I'm rather proud of us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Liposuction before and after photo chicago Acura rl reviews2cpreviews Acne acidophilus free+surveillance+camera+software Klonopin quit working Facedoctor acne rosacea

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home