Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Strap Seen 'Round The World.

I love this. I love, love, love this! Angelina Jolie, regardless of what you think of her as an actress or person, is the most famous mother on the planet right now. Everyone is watching her every move.

What a huge statement Angelina is making in that photo with her nursing bra clearly visable. I could not speculate as to whether or not she was trying to make a statement, although she seems to be a pretty media savvy gal, so my money says it was a conscious choice... But either way, that small, simple strap, all by itself, will probably encourage a good many thousands of women to breastfeed, even some who thought they wouldn't or couldn't. I really believe that Angelina's influence on today's young women and mothers is that strong.

Breastfeeding is such an awesome, powerful thing, and it's been a big part of my life for three and a half years, now. While I think that all mothers are amazing regardless of how they choose to feed their children, I feel a special kinship with nursing mothers, and am proud to be part of the movement that's bringing breastfeeding into mainstream society, without apology or awkwardness.

So I want to take this moment to congratulate Angelina, and welcome her to the club. Now you can put that million dollar rack to work, girl!

(I'd love to see Angie rockin' a "Nip/Suck" shirt on the pages of People magazine... do you think I should send her one?)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should so send her one. I thought the same thing when I saw the strap - it's also been seen on Katie Holmes.

Breastfeeding, once you get the hang of it, is convienent and easy.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! I thought I was the only one who noticed that!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Stefania Pomponi Butler aka CityMama said...

I loved that, too. And I also love how in their press conference photos (and maybe these too) they look...a little tired! :-) I got nothing against nannies, but it's nice to see celebs looking a little shell-shocked post-partum, like they are actually waking up 10 times a night.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

couldn't agree with you more.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Alisyn said...

I feel your pain, Binky. Violet is in the trying-to-nurse-while-playing-in-the-
sandbox-at-the-park stage. She doesn't want to give it up, but it's totally cramping her style. Just about time to start cutting those awkward public tug-of-wars out and start nursing at home only, I suppose.

I'll think about that AFTER vacation...

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I saw that too and it bumped her way up on my list. Can't hate her if I tried. Totally send her a Lactavist shirt. And send me one too! ;)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Here here!! I blogged about the breastfeeding 'debate' some are having....it is the most wonderful gift you can give your child, and it's not too bad for the mother/child relationship either. I only wish more moms and moms-to-be would consider it!

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
» » »

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone

I have made a Web site about cheyenne indians lifestyles.

I hope you check it out.

http://motiv84u.com

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home