Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Wedding Belles: A Bay Area Rite of Passage


Hazel, Violet, Mike and I had the honor and pleasure of attending the wedding of two of our closest friends, Lesley and Laura, last Sunday night. The wedding took place at the Log Cabin in the Presidio, which was perfectly suited to the occasion -- it's warm and romantic, way off the beaten path, with a lovely view downtown San Francisco. The entire building, twinkling with candles and flowers against the dark, wooded Presidio, just oozed love.

This wedding was a really special one for many reasons. For our familiy, it was a night of firsts: It was the first wedding my girls have ever been to, so explaining what a wedding is, and what it means, to Hazel, was really sweet. Hazel loves Lesley and Laura, and was so excited to go to their "wedding party" and be a part of their special day. It was also the first wedding, besides my own, in my group of best girlfriends. And it was the first gay wedding any of us had ever been to.

It's lamentable that it's taken me, who lived in San Francisco proper for 10 years, and the 'burbs for 3 (and counting), so long to achieve this major Bay Area milestone. But it was well worth the wait, to have my first lesbian wedding be that of one of my oldest, sweetest friends, and the wonderful woman she has made her lifelong partner.

It meant so much to me to be present that night, and stand in support of our friends, and the committment they made to each other. The country that we live in may not officially recognize their strong, loving relationship, but I know in my heart that someday, that is going to change. It simply must change. The day it does change will be a great one in my life, in all our lives.

It is my greatest hope for Hazel and Violet that they grow to be as strong and passionate and loving as Lesley and Laura. That they listen to their hearts, instead of the masses. That they know themselves and love themselves for who and what they are -- whatever that may be. And that someday, they too, can marry anyone that want to, and walk down the aisle with pride, knowing that women like these paved the way for them, and so many others.

Congratulations, Les and Laura. We love you guys so much.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mom101 said...

This is lovely - and probably a more heartfelt wedding gift to Leslie and Laura than whatever Tiffany vase or Michael C Fina silver pattern you might have gotten them. Print it out and send it to them.

7:19 AM  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

Beautiful post, Alisyn. I couldn't agree more.

2:45 PM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

PIctures? I'd love to see your girls dressed up, it sounds like such a special occasion. Loved this post *sniff*

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so sweet.

9:19 AM  
Blogger you say laura, i say gretchen said...

alisyn - you are the best. thanks so much for doing the readings at our weddin'. and for just being your badass self. i love you, too!--laura

5:25 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Lovely post. Makes me miss San Fran... I've really got to get back there. Its probably just as well, it will just kick start my dreams of someday living in that area.
The Hubby and I attended our first (legal! Yay!) lesbian wedding last year. Sometimes I bust on my home state (MA), but somethings they get right.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Debbi said...

How did you manage to get through ten years in SF and only one gay wedding. I live in the burbs of Jersey. Sadly, my gay friends all moved to FLA or CA. Why FLA I haven't a clue. Short of Disney, definitely not a gay friendly state. I'm with you though. The law has to change. Two people who love each other and want to be married and have all the rights and privledges of married people should be able to and gender shouldn't be an issue any more than religion, ethnicity or hair color.

Congrats to your girlfriends. May you both have eternal joy and bliss in your days spent united.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Design my own store website ratio acyclovir 200mg

1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info atlanta facial hair laser removal nits hair remove conferencing configuration quality service video http://www.gaydating5.info/hairysexforcash.html

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home