Tuesday, September 13, 2005

*Sayonara* sanity!

Mike's been in Japan on business since last Thursday. He's due back this afternoon and I'm counting the minutes til I head up to SFO to pick him up.

My mom very graciously drove up to pinch hit for Mike last weekend. She was on Hazel duty pretty much the whole time, which was, quite frankly, exactly what I needed: someone to give Hazel all of their attention and happily go along with whatever she wanted to do, while I plopped my tired ass on the couch, spent some quality time playing with Violet and tried to catch up on my rest. My friend Amy got here yesterday to pinch hit for Mike this weekend, since he's sick and will be jet-lagged and trying to catch up to the time difference (check this: he leaves Japan on Friday evening, flies 11 hours and arrives home on Friday afternoon. Weird!)
It's been... um, challenging... flying solo this past week. What, with the meals, the cleanups, the laundry, the errands, the diapers, the baby, the dog, the baths, the dishes, the kids. There's been so much I've wanted to blog about: Hazel started preschool, Violet started solids and she's learned that she can get anywhere she wants to go by rolling. But I've been absolutely, painfully, exhausted. The weeks go fast, but the days go so slow. So slow.

My mother-in-law was good enough to remind me that when Mike was a baby, and later when he was 8 and she had a newborn, too, Mike's dad would be out at sea for several months at a time. That gave me a little perspective, but I'm still managing to feel pretty sorry for myself. Big time props to all the mamas and dads out there flying solo everyday: I could never do what you do and survive.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a few months at sea right now...

4 Comments:

Blogger Stefania Pomponi Butler aka CityMama said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I found your blog through the comment you left on mine! I added you to my blogroll--hope that's ok.

Boo to parents who travel! And yeah to parents who hold down the fort. :-)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Debbi said...

You're doing just fine Aly. What your darling MIL my sweet auntie neglected to tell you is that your hubby and her first born, like my son Gary was tranquil and sweet and could find things to entertain himself for hours. He was well behaved and napped and really not so difficult. Not all children are cut the same. My DD like your Hazel is a tough cookie. Independent, trying, determined and sometimes very difficult. It can be exhausting. If Hannah had been my first, be sure she'd have been an only child. Props to you for going for it again while Haze was still giving you a run for the money. You are far braver than I. Give love to my sweet Michael. I'm glad he is good to you and those precious sweeties of yours. HUGS -- Debbi

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Free monster gay cock video Bense medical face lift Older women voyeur jennifer lopez ass size measurements Fotos culos hermosos lesbianas gratis

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Oceanside california tennis junior Kaizen supplements internet drug store purchase depakote online secrets natural bodybuilding New york debts child support previous marriage

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home